Friday, June 06, 2008

Need to do something...

So, I don't have my students right now.

But ever since 12 noon I have had the most spliting headache. I don't get headaches very frequently, but when I get one, it is killer, and it proves to me that I do not handle pain with the grace that you see in the faces of most people on "the Baby Story". Equally, I suspect that child-bearing might be something that I am not strong enough to handle as well! haha!

Also in an attempt to slowly get in gear for the posts I NEED to do regarding my parents voyage to Kangiqsualujjuaq, here is a teaser pic from the day they came with my class on a dog team excursion.



To get my mind off of the headache I am writing a quick note. Wish I had an accompanying picture, but never had the time yet. The big story this week is PAVEMENT! You might think that is an odd topic to put in bold with an exclamation mark, but it is SUCH a big deal right now. Last year we were told our roads would be paved, but it just never happened over the summer for some reason. We were told they were waiting till the spring. So, here we are.

On Tuesday, we could see from my classroom windows that the pavers were FINALLY starting their work on the new road beside the newest houses. My students were looking with as much excitement as they look out when a goose or other hunt-able animal strolls or flies by. The planning also began, "I am getting my roller blades and playing hockey on the pavement after school", "I'm going to play road hockey with my friends tonight on the pavement", "I want a skateboard now that there is pavement", I'm gonna ask my mom to get me heelys so I can go on the pavement."

I haven't heard the word pavement so many times in one week before. Tuesday night was rainy but the students(and some adults) were not put off. I watched out my window as bikes, hondas and kids travelling on foot went to "the pavement" as if to a Buddhist Shrine. It was hilarious, and cute all at the same time. The next day the students all had their own stories about the pavement. Wednesday the road, a slight downhill near the Nursing Station, was the next section to get paved. Again kids were out in droves as soon as the 3:30 bell rang. One of my secondary students told me to feel how cold his iPod was. When I asked him how it got so cold, he said he was lying down on the pavement to see what it was like. Thursday they started on the road in front of my house, and the bikers were out again, They would drive up to one end in front of my place and then drive down past the northern turning on the paved side street and going down as far as the Nursing station. They came to class this morning showing new bruises, cut knees and elbows and scratches. They are learning the evil contrast to dirt roads now, but it has not decreased their enthusiasm. Tonight one loop should be complete, so the races will begin- bicycle versus rollerblades- Wayne versus Jeremias(from my biology class). Oh how exciting pavement can be!

Have a wonderful weekend!

1 Comments:

Blogger NanNan said...

Wow-- the things we take for granted-- and before you know it-- the "pavement" will lose its new found glory,, and the ipods again will be warm!! funny story-- thanks for sharing that-- whod a thought?? Neat picture of your parents-- real troopers!!

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page