Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Big Town Controversy... maybe I shouldn't be blogging this but hey, it needs to be said!

OKay, so as most of you know the students in my class are all very hyped up about RAP... This August some of them went to another town where there was a music festival. At the music festival, there were a few young guys who had made a rap group and were singing songs of their own in Inuktitut. Everyone suddenly became crazy about it, and many people started to try and copy what they would rap about. The guys in my class started practicing and so I helped them out by showing them how they could actually record what they were making up. I also downloaded many instrumental beats from Limewire and other websites for them.

They ask me EVERY day if they can stay and rap, and I think it is fun that they are actually pouring themselves into something... These guys are not strong in school, don't really do anything except hang out with friends and do lots of drugs... With rap, they have found something they are really good at...

ENTER Controversy... Always enters at the most inopportune times, eh!!

So, one of the raps that the guys did was about a guy from town who is a big bully. Now this guy wasn't just any old bully to them, but he was just back in town from jail, since the court is finally here. He got wind of their rap and started going after them, threatening them and it scared the crap out of them. (I mean a huge 30-40 year old guy with a criminal record... going after you when you are a young teenaged punk kid... yikes! Welcome to the North...LOL!)

So, one of the town council members heard about the rap and brought it up at the weekly council meeting, prompting a decision to forbid the kids to rap anymore... (I would think that it made more sense to put restrictions on the adults from threatening kids but go figure?!) Of course, it kind of implicated the school since they recorded it at school. Our student councillor went to the meeting to talk about the good things that came out of the rap the kids were doing- like the boost in self- esteem, increased ability for them to open up and share their thoughts...

I am not a hundred percent sure whether they changed their mind at the council. I don;t think they have, but as I discussed with my students- there is very little difference between talking and rapping... Other than having a beat to it. We talked about the importance of not making it personal, and I told them for what the record in class, I don't want them to talk about anybody other than themselves. Just to keep it safer. The saddest part was yesterday when they came to school and said they would not rap anymore. I am glad that after our discussion they changed their minds. They are very talented and I would hate to see them squander their gift.

I think that the council just doesn't know anything about rap, so it is easier for them to try to contravene it, but really it wouldn't hurt for some education to happen there... SO, brilliant idea #1 was birthed...

I decided that I was tired of the council and some closed minded people from oppressing the youth... I wanted the kids in my class to be able to reason through things like this and decide what is fair and whether decisions like that are really well grounded. Tomorrow I will start a little English unit on debating. And through our discussions, I would like to teach them about respectful debate. We will prepare a presentation about rap that can be presented by the students to the council to educate them on the positive side of rap... and also to demonstrate the things they have learned in the last few days about expression.

I told the VP and Principal about the current conflict since they had heard from the council that something was happening with the topic. They told me that they would back us 100% and that they hoped that the kids would continue to express themselves through the raps they've been creating... That was good, so now comes the work... and I hope that the results will be students that understand communication a little bit better, who are able to think through critically the things that people tell them to do (unlike when they said they would do no more rap), I hope that some of these guys will realise the importance of an open mind, respecting other peoples beliefs and that someday they will be on council and will be responsible and democratic in the way they operate... BIG DREAMS I KNOW... But I believe that we can only change this community if the young are taught to think and learn and stand up for things worth fighting for...

As an ironic ending to today, I was talking to the student counsellor, who had just finished listening to the rap about the criminal dude that was so mad... she told me that the rap was only talking about the truth... One boy said that the guy came up to the playground when he was a kid, and when he slid down the slide the guy came over and bullied him (or something like that) so the rappers was saying that he didn't like being bullied and that when he got older than he would finally be big enough to get back at the guy if he kept bullying them... Interesting, that he would remember that from when he was a kid, and the idea of the rap was that they didn't agree with his violent ways...

BUT I digress, the most ironic, was that today they were rapping afterschool and one of the things they were talking about was how people get so mad when they don't have their drugs and then others get mad when they lose their money gambling it away, so instead of doing that and being on welfare, they should just stop gambling... (Profound for teenaged boys! hahah) AND the Stud. Counc. told me that was also what they were talking about at the council, how they could stop the gambling abuse in town.... hahaha... HOW ironic!!!

So, there is a bit of a battle happening. I want to keep an eye on the stuff the guys are saying, but don't want to see them stop... They have the guts to talk about stuff that no one else wants to address... As long as there is respect to others... well, hope that it continues and grows!

Presentation prep begins tomorrow... THINK of me as I help fight for their freedom of expression!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go babe...have it about ya girl!
(translation)
I am very very proud of you and your students!
Keep up the great work
Love you !!!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Tuffysmom said...

Great work. I think the world would be a different place now had there been teachers like you when I was growing up. We just weren't taught to think..just to memorize.
Even in High School, all the classes were purely academic. No thinking allowed.
Great job! Marsh

5:48 PM  
Blogger NanNan said...

And that, my friend , is why you are there!!!!
How ironic that a council would even debate the issue, with so many other life destructive problems --- but maybe they feel so impotent to deal with the real issues, focussing on the insignificant makes them feel as if they're achieving something---- who knows---- but--- I'm so relieved that you have the backing of your administration, as well you should---- helps to chip off some of my ingrown cynicism---- hope you will keep us informed--- now these are the big teachable moments--- we're all rooting for you and your kids!!! Way to go!!

6:56 PM  
Blogger NanNan said...

I think we were posting a comment at exactly the same time!! neat--

6:58 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

yep, I was about to say that!!! hahaha!

G.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

Mom- thanks... so when are you gonna get a blog??? (I know I sound like a broken record... but come on!!)

Tuf- I feel that with the lack of short term memory skills (lots of FASD= fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and learning disabilities from birth) memorization really would not be a choice even if I did believe in it... I guess I have always felt that if my students know how to think then they will learn well when they face new things and struggles in the world... so as long as I teach them and challenge them to learn how to learn then they are more well equipped then graduating with facts... I don't know just the way I see things- basic life, interpersonal and communication skills, the love/enjoyment of learning and the ability to think will get them further than knowing the answer to all the Jeopardy questions, hahaha... however I do love Jeopardy.... LOL!

Nannan- your are perceptive and wise- I think you hit it on the head when you suggested that they simply want to invoke power whereever they can since they are so impotent towards sooooo much! I will definately keep you all informed of the progress... Thanks for the vote of confidence!

TODAY was nuts however, my students were SOOOOOO grumpy this morning... amybe it was the math test they hadn't studied for, but I decided to wait until tomorrow or monday to suggest the project... I think my selling of the idea will only work if they feel energized...

11:24 PM  
Blogger Funnyface said...

Way to go girl!!!These people out there sould be thanking you, for taking such a interest in thier children.Its important that they can express there selves,in a postive way.

11:55 AM  
Blogger kicking-and-singing said...

Hey G,

Congratulations, you are giving these kids the toold that they need to argue constructively and articulately, so that they can get out what they need to without people getting hurt...
It is important for them to have an outlet in their lives and music, all music, is an excelent way for them to do that. For them to actually have someone who is in their corner, helping them be responsible and giving them the support they need to continue to be constructive is a major,major hand in their lives.
Keep on sharing with them, not only are you being a teacher, but you are a mentor and a friend.
Take Care G, talk to you soon.
Tammie

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page