Troubles and blessings...

So, I have this dilemma: Do I open the door to my heart and soul to everyone? Or do I guard this knowledge from those who might use it to hurt me?
So, I was thinking today about the nice parts of living and working in such a small community and also the negatives. I enjoy the fact that usually there is a lot of comradery among the staff, since we all work and live in each others laps. Where my house is located, I have teachers living upstairs, and two teacher families right across the street, one house away from them, are two other teacher families, and next to my house are two more buildings with another 6 teacher families. (I'll try to take a picture of the teacher ghetto we have going here when it is light out to help you picture this!)
Basically we are always around each other. Most of us have best friends and spend the majority of our freetime with other teachers. Which is fine, but it has it's drawbacks. For one thing, we can easily get on each others nerves and little things that you would typically overlook with colleagues, becomes blown out of proportion because people know way too much about each other. I also notice that in staff meetings, sometimes the way people joke and kid around, using language which might be offensive, would never happen in a staff meeting in the south.
Today I was in a discussion with another teacher and she was complaining about that very fact- a francophone using a specific swear word flippantly during meetings. It's funny though because I find that she uses a lot of sexual jokes that I am not really very comfortable with (but brush off since I think it is simply her way of demonstrating her friendship.) She didn't seem to notice the difference between our school relationships and those between staff in the south.
I don't know why I get annoyed by that... talking about it now makes me notice how truely small and meaningless a discussion it was. Maybe it was just the person that was saying it that made me annoyed, since this person tries to make big deals and crusades over the smallest little things. But reading it now, makes it easier to drop.
I also helped another teacher to get set up on blog. She wanted to prepare a website for a business that her and her husband are starting. I realized though that I don't want to tell her about my blog. Is that selfish of me? I am afraid that if she were to read it she would read too much into things I say and feel and get upset with me because we have been through some really trying times in our relationship- where this woman was always getting mad at me for things that I would say that she would simply misinterpret. She drained me mentally and emotionally for a long time, until I just cut ties. I think that I could not be as honest and open as I am with you all. She is very complicated and with whom I cannot be myself because she doesn't understand me and judges me constantly... Sad to say that she is one of my friends... maybe you can see why I am so happy to have all of you in my life!
Is this just silly fears? Or do you think that sometimes it is easier to hide certain things to maintain peace with complex people? I hate to think I am two faced, but see it more as I only expose the part of me to her that cannot be misunderstood. Oh what to do? You are all so supportive, open-minded and uplifting... Thank you!
5 Comments:
Hye G-
What you have said is very understandable, and I do not blame you for not wanting to tel her about your blog. It seems at times it is hard to be as open as you would liek to be for fear of being misinterpreted and as oyu have said she has done this often to you.
Being in such a small community can make it hard to keep your professional life and your truly personal life seperate..Everyone needs their own space, and your blog is yours.
Personally I feel priveleged to be able to be a part of your space as we would have it.
You are as kind a person now as you were when we were in school..
Often I was the girl who kinda went by unnoticed, but in doing so I was able to get a larger scope of the world that we were in....
Be well G and Be Blessed.
Tammie
In my opinion, you should keep your blog to yourself. If not, it would be like they were reading your diary. Now, it's not a diary to us you understand..But to the people you work with, everything you say could be misconstrued, and you would be hindered in expressing your feelings. That is just my opinion.
I've lived in very small communities myself (when I was younger)..and it's a tricky situation...
It's not that you're not being yourself...it's just that you have to be sure of the people you let in.
Gads, I'm not saying this well at all. After all, we don't know each other at all..but you know Nannan..and she is my sister...and I hope that makes a nice connection between us.
Oh oh..gotta go..Coronation Street coming on!!
By the way...Big Brother should be interesting tonight!
P.S. Mike and 'Boogie' are quite handsome..don't you think..hahahahahaha! I know you don't like them..just teasing.
First chance I had to sit down at the computer, although i read your post hurriedly this morning , and have been thinking of the issues you so bravely raise---- in fact, I am going to base my post today on this issue--- the short answer, we all wear masks depending on the situation, it's not two-faced, it's survival--- and we do need to guard and defend ourselves from known "predators"--- people that drain the lifeblood out of us, even though we may love them---- Just the fact that you're feeling those concerns and fears, is all the answer you need-- don't do it, and don't feel guilty about it--- We need to protect ourselves and each other's privacy, at the same time realizing, in this blog world, there is no privacy, and anyone at anytime may happen upon your site by doing a search for key words, such as your location, or interests-- although there is a setting that can protect your privacy to a greater degree--- I am always aware that what I write may be read by anyone out there-- I would definitely be deleting my blog and shutting down if it becomes uncomfortable at any time!! Phew, I meant to keep it short, but I get carried away-- good topic you bring up!!!!!
Thanks for all of your posts... It's funny because it is only really this one person that I am afraid of, and I totally love the way you said it nan- "drains the lifeblood" from me! That's totally it. I am still friends with her, but I have to be only superficial since she is too... draining!
K&S- It's so funny but since getting to know you (and Tymber) through the blogs, I really wish we had known each other in school. I also wonder how I came across back then... You know how you get absorbed into a certain crowd or crowds and you sometimes miss the other people, as you try to fit in with certain ones... I was so insecure about so much back then, but found that since that time things have become so much more clear in my mind!
LJLC- I am very touched with your consistency in trying to convince me to move back... Funny part is how that is the end of every email I get from people in Ottawa and other from NS and also my host mother from Germany, as well as relatives in Nfld. Makes me feel very loved!! But also freakin' confused! I know that my heart is in NS though, so I wouldn't be very surprised if I do show up on Meadowfields doorstep looking for something...
Tuffysmom-It's true that this is like a diary, and it's funny that I am so excited to share this with all of you! Sometimes it is scary to be so honest- I think we have all been there with one post or another, but we still do it, and we all are so welcoming, open and caring with each other even when we disclose areas of weakness... It's so weird but so nice- I am glad to be connected with you!
Nan- Never worry about long comments, I LOVE reading everyones thoughts, and like you've said to me before, "Long is good!!" I have actually already thought about the location thing and think I'll change the loc. I have, so that it makes it a bit harder... We don't have many of the same interests either so it should be alright! Everything she knows about the website was what i taught her so maybe I'll conveniently not teach her how to search LOL!!
Big Bro tonight, hope I don;t miss it again!!! It wasn't on at the usual time so I am a bit worried!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home