Internet Finally Fixed Up!
**This picture was taken during my first year, but shows what the beach looks like around now!**
I have missed you all! Our local internet connection has had some major difficulties the last week, so much so that I was lucky to get a connection for 2 minutes each day since my last post. I managed to get on for a few minutes on the weekend to check your posts but the connection was so unstable, and it made me realize how much I depend on it for entertainment, weather, etc.
Well, you would also think that having not written anything in over a week, I would have lots to say but I guess after a week you realize that some of the things you might have talked about suddenly doesn't seem important enough to even mention this long after! Work has been good, I like my class, but just wish the "over 17" students that I have would have sudden inspiration to take responsibility for themselves so they won't get suspended for the year. We have had some real abusers of school the past few years but most of them seem to have really turned around a lot this year, but unfortunately, we've decided to be very tough on them- three strikes and you're out- behaviour/attendence contract. There are two who are now on step two!!! It makes me sad but like I have told them, it doesn't matter how much I like them and want them to be in our class, it does depend on their choices and effort.
Hmmm... and last Friday we had a holiday from school, not so much as "Remembrance Day" since it really isn't a popular holiday in Quebec, but as "JBNQA Day". A day to celebrate and remember the signing of the James Bay Northern Quebec Agreement in the 70's, when the Inuit in Nunavik (northern Quebec) received certain rights from the Fed. and Prov. governments concerning the land and decision making. All I know is that the holiday is well placed in the year to provide a nice break from the grind of school. Since the weather had dropped lots of snow, I spent a lot of time driving around and taking some of the new teachers (April and Krystal) out on my skidoo.
On Saturday, I had a nice raclette supper at Anne's place, followed by a little get-together at Nancy and Mark's place. I was unfortunately very exhausted so I didn't stay up very long. Sunday was very relaxing I don't think I did much... of course, drove around through the trees on the East end of town, but most of the day was spent relaxing, watching movies, and relaxing.
This week we had another weird occurence, this morning, school had to be cancelled because there was no power from 9-12 anywhere in town. I enjoy days like that as I spend most of it with others helping them out and planning school activities, like our Anti-Bullying Week initiative. I didn't even go to my class until after lunch!
I was also really happy to receive my new digital camera tonight at 4 pm. I played around a little bit with it, but it is dark by 4 now so it is very hard to get a good idea of the camera until I play with it in the daylight. See below a night shot- except I haven't figured out the night setting hence the blur...
5 Comments:
I know how you feel about your internet.I would go crazy without mine.
I love the picture's.I have mentioned a couple of times, that I'd love to have a digital camera for Christmas.Now if I can just convince my family that I'v been a good girl.
You take care, and have a wonderful week. :)
I was getting worried, but didn't want to pressure you-- I know how busy you are--- Love the pictures.
That three strikes thing sounds kind of tough and inflexible-- so soon in the year to be on step two, you just know they can't make it-- seems like it's setting them up for failure----
Yeah, it kind of does, but these are students who are not very driven to finish their schooling, they come for the social interactions, most often distract others more than they do their own work, and sometimes hold the others back from doing their best.
I find it a tough strategy, but they have many other options if they are suspended- Adult ed. (like the GED program) in two other towns, Upgrading at the adult ed centre in Inukjuak, and also joining the workforce.
I have seen the same students in the same grade for the last four years, nice kids but lacking drive to do well or even try... Ideally they would have been in a special program, but school resources in the North are VERY limited!
I guess the flexibility is built into the contract- it doesn't say they will NEVER miss school or NEVER be late, but it says that they will be responsible to call if they will be late or absent. If they do that then they do not get another strike... Unfortunately, one of my students was missing for a week and a half but didn't inform the school at all, came back to class this week, was lost and expected help to catch up but also refuses to stay in at recess, lunch or afterschool to receive the assistance...
VERY different world up here in terms of education. We have some parents of grade three's who claim that they know their children are overtired but can't do anything because their child doesn't listen when they say go to bed. (Grade three students are 8-9 years old and some parents give up trying to get them to bed at a decent hour!!)
It's pretty tough at times, but you just try to do as much as you can, then you have to leave the rest of the decisions up to the students... all the while crossing your fingers that they will choose wisely!
I was thinking about your thoughts and the funniest part about it is that three years ago, I am sure I would have probably blogged the EXACT same things- "sounds kind of tough and inflexible"... But knowing the way the society is here, I see that there is sometimes too much tolerance for unhealthy and unacceptable behaviours. I know a man in town that has molested children people have pressed charges but he is still awaiting trial, it has been years of "house arrest" but no consequences it seems. Not to mention, workers not showing up for their jobs and never calling in or letting their bosses know that they are not coming in.
In a small way, we are trying to demonstrate and give students clear and specific examples of ways to be and show responsibility. At school, we are hoping that even if they might not graduate their sec. 5 at least they can learn to be responsible citizens...
It is very hard to know though what the best way is, students know each of the expectations off the bat, so they are given fair warning and encouragement and strategies to improve their attendence, but unfortunately they sometimes can't live up to it.
I have one guy who has really become very responsible with his attendence, even though he could not be in school this afternoon, he called to let us know that he had to babysit his infant son. He did not take those measures last year and missed at least a quarter of his classes last year. Now he is calling everytime. I feel like it is a big step and he is still on Step 1 of the contract, his attendence has improved a bit over last year and so have his marks. I am hoping that some of this new consciousness he has is a result of knowing that he can't just fool around with his school attendence and do as he pleases not taking it seriously...
I guess like I said in the first comment, the important thing to understand is that it is a VERY different world... It has been fun to reflect on it from an outside perspective though, thanks for the comment Nan!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home