Sunday, September 17, 2006

Where or where did the weekend go? Or where or where can you be?

I wish I took some pictures today, but I was simply too lazy. But -WOW- what a feast for the eyes. The colours of the tundra foliage has changed literally overnight it seems. I miss seeing the leaves turn but the mosses and lichens are so gorgeous as the change into bright oranges and reds, contrasting against the white stone surfaces of the boulders, scattered all over the land.

Good weekend as I look back over the past two days. As usual it went far to quickly from the realm of the present to the past. Saturday was spent chatting with people online, catching up with Nancy(who just got back from a week on the Hudson coast), cleaning dishes and making plans for the evening. The Northern store manager and assistant manager are both leaving GR, and so we decided it would be nice to have a little going away party for both of them. April and Trevor, who live on the beach, decided they would host everyone, and we had a great time- playing games, chatting, carrying on, and dancing as the night got later. It was nice, almost all of the teachers were there, which is always fun!

This morning I slept in until 10:30, since it was a ratehr late night. Nancy called just before noon and said they were going to the end of the road to set up the tent and spend the day. I always love doing that, getting fresh air and relaxing... We don't do much other than eat, talk and lay around. It was a bit chilly so the stove in the tent made it very cozy. I called the new teachers but two were still sleeping and April was still sick and decided that it would be better to stay inside and let her voice rest before going back to school tomorrow. We were laughing at her deep voice last night, she said she could have a 1-900 phone line put in if her voice stayed that way for long! LOL!

Today was a great day and now I am just tuning into NTV (Newfoundland Television) one of the 8 channels my TV gets, and the Canadian Idol finale is already started with a pre-show celebration from Craig Sharpe's hometown. Should prove to be an interesting finale... So, I must let you all go, and tidy up, grab a bite to eat and get everything ready to go back to work. Have a wonderful week everyone!

9 Comments:

Blogger NanNan said...

I didn't know about the Canadian Idol finale-- yes, it's on now-- thank you-- and I did read all your post-- sounds like a refreshing fun-filled weekend- so badly needed to face a new week--- hey, the amazing race is on tonight too-- yahoo-- hit the jackpot--- check with you tomorrow, or maybe later tonight----

8:23 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

Yeah, weekends are a wonderful idea... I wish though that they could be three days long.. Because then you have one full day to not think about resting from the long week, or preparing to return the next day...

Three days are a charm!!
G.

9:02 PM  
Blogger mikki said...

Yay, NTV! Canada's SuperStation, don't ya know... Sometimes, I fear what sort of impression others must get of Newfoundlanders after watching NTV - the owner, Geoff Stirling, has very weird ideas about what we should be watching, especially after midnight.

Oh, your description of the tundra changing season was wonderful - please take some pictures and share! Bet it's just beautiful.

10:19 PM  
Blogger NanNan said...

Now my curiosity is piqued- what kinds of things are on NTV after midnight?

6:23 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

It's funny but I never seemed to notice what is on after midnight... I mean I have watched TV then, but tend to favour the movie network channel we have after those hours... And maybe now I am actually GLAD about that!!

It was kind of neat because I was born in NFLD and most of my mom's family still live there, one night on the evening news I turned the TV on to see my uncle Don (who is head of the NFLD and LAB. Pharmacy Board) talking about some oxycontin (sp?) awareness program. Small world! It was kind of nice to see him and what a surprise!

G.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

PS Will try to get outside of school during the day to take a few pics, but it is already starting to get dark at between 6 and 7, so I will force myself to leave school sooner for all of you guys!

G.

7:01 PM  
Blogger mikki said...

What a weird coincidence... I met Don about 4 years ago - I am a Pharmacy Technician, and we were in the process of trying to set up some kind of provincial certification, looking for support from the Pharmacy association. It fell through, of course, 'cause cerification would cost the province (and the drug stores) more money than they're willing to pay for us lowly technicians :o)

6:35 AM  
Blogger Tuffysmom said...

My God, what a small world! So now you and Mikki have a connection. That is so cool.
That 'Six Degrees of Separation' thing may be true after all!!!!
Is it Six or Seven..whatever, you know what I mean.
So..have you seen the Commercial with the Newfy selling a truck...I just love it!!!!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

Wow, that is a small world!! I visited them last Easter, was the first time in 10 years maybe that I got to go back to the island... I love it there!!

Hey, if you ever run into him again, then say hello for me!

G.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page