Home Sweet Home...
Always nice to come home. You know, see the family, get a bit of shopping in, get a taste of nice mild SPRING weather, oh wait, we woke up to snow this morning... well, I guess seeing family and shopping making it all worth it!
I unfortunately don't have any recent pictures to share at the moment. I am writing this on my parents computer while mom takes a quick pause from her favourite online game, "Fowl Words" to put the laundry in the dryer, giving me just enough of a window to write this.
I had a great day on Thursday before heading out on the plane. We had two classes in the morning and after Recess we sent the students home to get some snacks, drinks, and put on warm clothes so we could have a school picnic out on "shortcut lake" as we have lovingly named it. At 12 or so, all of the skidoos left the school parking lot like a long Rose bowl parade or something. Kids spilling out of everyone's qamoutiks (sleds) and bright coloured nassaks (knitted winter hats) flashing in the BRILLIANT sun. Now I really want to emphasize BRILLIANt since up north when you have a sunny day in spring, it's TWICE as sunny since the sun hits you from the sky and from it's reflection off the snow covered ground, making it almost unbearable for a non-sunglass protected eye.
Everyone weaved through the trees behind the lake upon arrival and found a spot to start a campfire. Soon the air was filled with the smell of roasting hotdogs and happy people, laughing, joking, wrestling and enjoying time together. Once the hotdogs had digested well, we had a few games, a human dog sled race, where students pulled their teachers on a course, racing against other classes. It was hilarious to watch especially when the principal, Jean was bounced off his sled and left behind by the grade 6 class, so he proceeded to tackle the vice Principal Mark, who was being pulled by the grade 5's so they all piled on top until he let them get to the finish line. Or the time when the teachers raced agains the IPL boys, about half of our team fell in the snow faar behind their sled, and Chris did a funny face plant, which was only accentuated by the amount of snow that stuck on his beard, fleece coat and hair when he stood up. **I'll post some pictures when I get back up north.**
On Friday, I flew home. It was a long day, but fortunately April was also flying so it gave someone for me to hang out with during the long hours of waiting in Kuujjuaq for our connection. I was surprised when the flights all day long were a bit earlier than scheduled. Five minutes early getting into Montreal and 10 minutes early into Halifax. I stayed overnight in Halifax then on Saturday morning, my dad and I hit the stores so I could find a blouse for the wedding before driving back to Yarmouth, arriving in town with just enough time to make it to Trivia at Rudder's. Funny thing was that the team I was on ended up beating both mom and dad's teams! (I won't mention that it had very little to do with me though, we just had a brainiac on the team who knew everything, I was more there for moral support and to help repeat the question to her when she finally stopped telling stories, haha)
Saturday night, we ate at the restaurant that Kenneth works at. Delicious feed of lobster, cornish hen and shrimp. (I picked off everyone's plate, I didn't eat one of each just in case you are wondering!) Then we went to the Easter Vigil service with my brother Paul and my parents. Kenneth wasn't off work in time, but since mom and dad wouldn't be able to sit with us in the morning they were happy Paul and I could go that evening to celebrate with them. I have had a bit of a cold starting since Thursday when I got a bad sun/wind burn, after our wonderful picnic. My sinuses are sore, nose a bit stuffed up, sneezing, and having a few more coughs than normal. I went to bed pretty early and slept until 10 this morning. I hope I can kick this cold before Saturday and the wedding.
Went to church at Evangel this morning. Nice service. It's always fun to see people that played an important part in my life as I grew up. Then this afternoon after a wonderful meal of ham with the family, I took a walk with mom up to the drug store, (I think I gave her my cold, oops!) then I went for a brisk walk on my standard route from this summer. Well, one of the routes from the summer, the short one, the one that goes up to Meadowfields school, along the tracks, and back to my house. It was nice, although it is rather chilly outside, and made me think of the summertime. I don't know why I always feel more motivated to walk when I am here, but I am NOT complaining!!
So, that's about all I have to say. Not your typical Easter Sunday, but the best one I could imagine for me right now. I hope that all of you are doing well, and any of my Yarmouth readers, give me a call, I'm home until next Sunday. (Albeit a tad busy Friday evening and Saturday, LOL!)
I unfortunately don't have any recent pictures to share at the moment. I am writing this on my parents computer while mom takes a quick pause from her favourite online game, "Fowl Words" to put the laundry in the dryer, giving me just enough of a window to write this.
I had a great day on Thursday before heading out on the plane. We had two classes in the morning and after Recess we sent the students home to get some snacks, drinks, and put on warm clothes so we could have a school picnic out on "shortcut lake" as we have lovingly named it. At 12 or so, all of the skidoos left the school parking lot like a long Rose bowl parade or something. Kids spilling out of everyone's qamoutiks (sleds) and bright coloured nassaks (knitted winter hats) flashing in the BRILLIANT sun. Now I really want to emphasize BRILLIANt since up north when you have a sunny day in spring, it's TWICE as sunny since the sun hits you from the sky and from it's reflection off the snow covered ground, making it almost unbearable for a non-sunglass protected eye.
Everyone weaved through the trees behind the lake upon arrival and found a spot to start a campfire. Soon the air was filled with the smell of roasting hotdogs and happy people, laughing, joking, wrestling and enjoying time together. Once the hotdogs had digested well, we had a few games, a human dog sled race, where students pulled their teachers on a course, racing against other classes. It was hilarious to watch especially when the principal, Jean was bounced off his sled and left behind by the grade 6 class, so he proceeded to tackle the vice Principal Mark, who was being pulled by the grade 5's so they all piled on top until he let them get to the finish line. Or the time when the teachers raced agains the IPL boys, about half of our team fell in the snow faar behind their sled, and Chris did a funny face plant, which was only accentuated by the amount of snow that stuck on his beard, fleece coat and hair when he stood up. **I'll post some pictures when I get back up north.**
On Friday, I flew home. It was a long day, but fortunately April was also flying so it gave someone for me to hang out with during the long hours of waiting in Kuujjuaq for our connection. I was surprised when the flights all day long were a bit earlier than scheduled. Five minutes early getting into Montreal and 10 minutes early into Halifax. I stayed overnight in Halifax then on Saturday morning, my dad and I hit the stores so I could find a blouse for the wedding before driving back to Yarmouth, arriving in town with just enough time to make it to Trivia at Rudder's. Funny thing was that the team I was on ended up beating both mom and dad's teams! (I won't mention that it had very little to do with me though, we just had a brainiac on the team who knew everything, I was more there for moral support and to help repeat the question to her when she finally stopped telling stories, haha)
Saturday night, we ate at the restaurant that Kenneth works at. Delicious feed of lobster, cornish hen and shrimp. (I picked off everyone's plate, I didn't eat one of each just in case you are wondering!) Then we went to the Easter Vigil service with my brother Paul and my parents. Kenneth wasn't off work in time, but since mom and dad wouldn't be able to sit with us in the morning they were happy Paul and I could go that evening to celebrate with them. I have had a bit of a cold starting since Thursday when I got a bad sun/wind burn, after our wonderful picnic. My sinuses are sore, nose a bit stuffed up, sneezing, and having a few more coughs than normal. I went to bed pretty early and slept until 10 this morning. I hope I can kick this cold before Saturday and the wedding.
Went to church at Evangel this morning. Nice service. It's always fun to see people that played an important part in my life as I grew up. Then this afternoon after a wonderful meal of ham with the family, I took a walk with mom up to the drug store, (I think I gave her my cold, oops!) then I went for a brisk walk on my standard route from this summer. Well, one of the routes from the summer, the short one, the one that goes up to Meadowfields school, along the tracks, and back to my house. It was nice, although it is rather chilly outside, and made me think of the summertime. I don't know why I always feel more motivated to walk when I am here, but I am NOT complaining!!
So, that's about all I have to say. Not your typical Easter Sunday, but the best one I could imagine for me right now. I hope that all of you are doing well, and any of my Yarmouth readers, give me a call, I'm home until next Sunday. (Albeit a tad busy Friday evening and Saturday, LOL!)

1 Comments:
Hi G!!
Not sure if I'll be allowed to post this comment...blogger is upset with me for some reason!!
I had supper with your brainiac friend from trivia!! She is very smart...and she really enjoyed your company!!
I'd love to see you before you go back....want to visit us at school??? You're always welcome!!
Chat soon....LJLC
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home