Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Maple Leaf Me?


Mmm, cappuchino!

Ok, so it's 3:44 pm and I am waiting in the "Maple Leaf Lounge" in the Halifax Airport. When I checked in I found out that the school board purchased entrance into the lounge when the paid for my ticket. So, I indulged. I have spent a LOT of time in airports the past few years and always wondered about what the hype was, what was so special about it...

At the door, a bouncer of sorts, to check ID's and I suppose to make sure none of the ordinary folk like me would make entrance. After being approved, I passed a room full of computers and business type communications apparel, a fancy washroom and then the cafe area, bar area and sitting area, all decorated with rich leather lounge chairs, abstract art, and indirect lighting.

The refreshments is probably the key to the hype about this area- almost anything you might want is available- juices, pops, liquors, wines, beers, gourmet cappuchinos, lattes and expressos, and cookies, vegetables, snacks, soups, etc. etc. All of these things are free and make me rather suspect as to what KSB had to pay in order for me to have this service available. A part of me wants to take a handful of goodies from here and bring them downstairs and start handing them out to people who are in the common area. DOWN with segregation, hahaha...

Hmmm, now to make note of the people around me- the man and woman at the table to my left are clad with "Alpine Beer" company fleece, and from the conversations I overheard so far, he must be some sort of head hauncho since he has spoken to directors in Peru, Ireland and I think somewhere in Asia, in the last 10 minutes. He has arranged the takeover plans of an airline and talked about impending plans to expand their market share in some country I can't remember which one though. He is on his way to St. John's and must have a horrible sore ear from having the cellphone attached to it constantly. The man behind me arrived from Norway this morning and is on his way to Toronto this afternoon for a short visit. I think I am the only one without a palm pilot on full blast and a cellphone in use. I have to say business is not my idea of a fun profession to be in.

So, overall impressions, if it is given to you- take it. Guess the free stuff is pretty cool, in a day and age when everything seems to cost more and more, but at what cost?? My running shoes and layers of fleece and pony tail seem to be a bit too common for me to fit in without being noticed!

3 Comments:

Blogger Gillian said...

OKAY- now I realize that BUSINESS is really a way of thinking. True business people breathe and live business... And I will admit I am still eavesdropping on the business man and his wife (or female colleague) he just read out the temperatures for today and they were briefly talking about the issue of global warming and his conclusion was, "I'd just like to figure out what things will look like in the next few years and think of a way to cash in on it."

I am NOT business mind... and I never considered myself to be an eco-hippy but heck, that kind of attitude is probably why we will never be able to slow down the current climatic trends.

Enough beefing, need to visit the golden toilets in a minute, lol! (just kidding, I think?!)

G.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gillian;
Sounds like you had fun - your golden toilets and our Golden Arches - seems poetic!
Arrived back from dropping you off at the Maple Leaf Lounge - did get Kenneth's guitar and an English Toffee coffee at T.H. (seems to lack a little lustre)...oh well, such is the life of a world traveller!
Hope you have a good night and safe trip to home.
xoxoxo

7:04 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

Ok, just to suppease your curiosity... The toilets were not made of gold, and did not actually function very well... Not to get disgusting or anything, but you know what I mean. However, they did have a vending machine of assorted freebies, none of which I took advantage of, but I just thought I would say... just in case you thought the washrooms sounded too ordinary- they were still "Maple Leaf" Standard! LOL!

G.

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page