Thursday, July 27, 2006

Valley Ho!

My father had a nother meeting in Halifax today and since my mudder also had the day off, we went up together so we could shop while he worked. Nice day of travelling, made few pit stops on the way up via the south shore, then had a solid three hours of wandering, sightseeing and of course, shopping. ON the way home we stopped into visit some family friends who now live in Bridgetown. What a cute town, many old, danty and quite well kept homes and the trees, they were HUGE lining some of the street. I mean it is no Wolfville, however, it is awfully cute for being a place I have never visited much! Meg and Glen were very happy to have visitors, especially unexpected ones, and we only really stayed a half hour but they were very touched and pleased to have the company. I don't think I could live in that region of NS, the heat when we exited the otherwise, air-conditioned car, was STIFLING to me. I guess that is why the norh suits me so well. Up north you can clothe yourself properly to be comfortable in frigid arctic temps, but here if you have shorts and a tank top on and you are still boiling hot, what else can you do, except maybe visit friends with a pool, brave the Bay of Fundy waters or try to get a job at M&M? FOr the curious blog read among you, I am going back up north for my 4th year in a few weeks. I am teaching at a school called "Ulluriaq" which is Inuktittut for "star". (see the website link on my homepage sidebar, there is even a webcam that shows a view from the school towards the daycare and my old house) The community is and isolated fly in Inuit community located in Nunavik (which is the piece of land in Northern Quebec NOT the new territory, which is Nunavut) Similar but different! I am a secondary teacher, and teach a variety of course for students in the equivalent of grade 8-12. My favourite classes are Biology and PSD (personal and social development, otherwise health) even though I was trained in geography and history in university) and I don't mind teaching math or English which I have also done the past couple of years. Every year my courses change a little bit, but I don't mind much since I like new challenges... (I have also taught computer courses, and like those but don't get much chance to do it these days.) I have a lot of respect for those who teach the youngsters of society... I don't think I could teach any younger than MAYBE grade 4, because I hate it when kids get whiny and tattle tale... Well, I have to wake up early and start waiting for my new iPod which Fedex is due to deliver tomorrow- ARGH, they have a HORRIBLE company ethic and personnel from my experiences on Wednesday, but DON"T get me started!!! Good night,G.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gillian said...

LJLC-
yeah, iPod came this morning at 8:30... Delivery guy was very nice and said he would have dropped it off at my dad's office if I had left the address... Guess I was right in what I said to the woman on the phone- she was giving me a very hard time and saying there were very few options to get the iPod (either wait around from 9-5 or go pick it up in Dartmouth.)

I told her that sometimes in smaller places other things are possible, but she got upset and told me it was "NOT Fedex policy" and it was impossible to get it delivered somewhere else, etc. unless I called Apple and made arrangements thru them... (Then she put me on hold and got her manager to help me instead because she was too frustrated with me I guess!? )
When I asked the delivery guy today, he said I could have done that, that would have been easy. Too funny! BUT enough on the rant! Maybe FEDEX is not as bad as their head office operators are!! LOL

12:04 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

Oh, missed the other question... Yep, I think I wouldn't mind teaching in Yarmouth in a few years, I love this area and most of the people. I am however, quite happy up north and for the sake of my students would not want to leave yet... The students are so used to teachers leaving that they get very turned off to school and it creates a lot of turmoil for them.

This past school year I started a 3/4 paid leave plan, so I make 3/4 salary for the next three years and then in 2008-09 school year I will be off with pay. I am thinking at this point that I will know at that time whether I should apply elsewhere or whether I want to return again up north. Right now, I am happy with my work and life up there so I am just taking it year by year...

Most likely the thing that will drive me away from the north is when I want to have a family, since there are no real prospects up there for me. I have told the principal and vice principal that if they want to keep me there they will have to start hiring some single male teachers so I might be able to stay! LOL (They tell me whenever they have to do hiring that they will try their best for me, but so far NO luck!! hehehe)

12:10 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

LJLC-Thanks a bunch for the encouragement! As you (and Nan) know, teaching is sometimes one of those professions that never seem to bring as much success as you work for... Sometimes parents and kids just don't get it or complain more about what they don't think you are doing instead of thanking you for what you are trying to accomplish... It is great when you have break throughs but more days are filled with disappointments and troubles... Makes you doubt yourself. I know that I am in teaching for my students. If I realize I am failing at connecting with them and helping them learn and grow, then I think I will get out of it. For now, I love what I do, and am having enough success with my students that i will certainly continue.

As per Yarmouth, I love this town. Probably my dad's fault since he LOVES everything about it here, and his job is really all about making Yarmouth work well on all levels, economically, socially, provincially, culturally, etc... I think I will eventually end up here, but not quite yet. I would miss being able to drive my skidoo anywhere without a helmet!!! hehehe

Have a great evening too!
G.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

I agree... the good parts of being a teacher far outwiegh the bad... I guess that must be true for anyone who sticks with it!

Later,
G.

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page